EDGEMORE™ Loft – Integrally Colored Concrete Overlay With Micro Topping
Features & Benefits
- Works as a great economical alternative to replacing concrete floors with discoloration, cracks, pop-outs, and other flaws
- Can be used to level out minor dips in the floor
- Integral colors of the EDGEMORE™ Loft overlay are long-lasting and do not fade, peel, or chip
- Increases the durability of your floor by making it resistant to foot traffic, water, and UV rays
- Can be textured to create the looks of brick, natural stone, tile, etc.
- Should be applied on a prepared substrate
Spaces for Use
- Commercial kitchens
- Restaurants and bars
1. Applying the Bond Coat
- If you want to give your floors a grout pattern, you need to first install the bond coat. The bond coat should be applied in the desired color of the grout. Most bond coats are designed to be applied to a wet floor.
- The square feet ratio of the bond coat mixture varies with manufacturers. Check the bag for instructions. We strive to put bond coats at a ratio of 250-300 sq. ft. per bag.
- Start with the correct amount of water in your mixing container, then add your desired colorant, and mix the colorant in the water. Next, mix in the overlay. We recommend two bond coats for most floors for the best adhesion.
2. Installing Micro Toppings
- Most micro topping bag mixes are designed to be applied to a dry floor. Typically, the spread ratio for micro toppings will range between 300-400 sq. ft. per bag. Make sure you are double-checking the manufacturer’s recommendations before application.
- Add the correct amount of water in the container, mix in the desired colorant, and then mix the overlay
- Once the product is mixed, split the mixture into two five-gallon buckets to keep the product from becoming thick too fast. The best micro-topping application procedure is to use a steel trowel.
- In order to eliminate the rainbow look of a normal concrete finish, first apply the product in basketball-size amounts on the floor and trowel them out in different directions. Or, you can pour the product out in a random pattern throughout the floor to eliminate the arch look. You do not need to worry about keeping a wet line with a micro topping finish.
- Once the floor is completely dry apply a second coat of micro topping according to the colorant ratio of the desired floor
3. Sanding the Loft Series Floor
- Use a palm sander with 80-100 grit sandpaper and sand the edges to smooth down the high spots created by the trowel. It’s best to use a palm sander that can be attached to a HEPA vacuum to minimize the dust.
- Once finished with the edges, use a 17-inch swing machine with 100 grit and 120 grit sanding screens, black scrubbing pads, and a vacuum port to sand the high spots on the floor.
- Sweep up the dust using a fine bristle broom. The next step is to re-sand the floor with the sanding screen. In this step, the floor will start acquiring a slight shine.
- Once you have achieved your desired look, sweep the floor with a fine bristle broom and follow it up with vacuuming the floor with a brush attachment vacuum wand. The brush attachment prevents vacuum marks on the floor.
4. Sealing the floor
- Water-based sealer
- Urethane (water-based or solvent-based)
- Water-based epoxy
- 100% solid epoxy
- Solvent-based acrylics
FAQs on /integrally Colored Concrete Overlay
Is concrete overlay a good idea?
Concrete overlays are highly durable and are great ways to breathe new life into old, cracked, or discolored concrete instead of replacing them. Concrete overlays can last as long as your concrete floor does. It is also an economical option to give your floors a makeover.
How thick should a concrete overlay be?
The thickness of concrete overlays can range anywhere between 1 and 2 inches. Some might even choose to go as thin as 1/4th inch. For a thick overlay to work, you need to have a rough substrate.
How long does EDGEMORE™ Loft concrete overlay last?
If the installation is done well and the floor is maintained properly, our EDGEMORE™ Loft overlay can last well over 25 years.
Will EDGEMORE™ Loft overlay look good in my driveway?
EDGEMORE™ Loft overlay will give a decorative look to your driveway while hiding imperfections on the concrete. The durable finish to the overlay creates a long-lasting bond with the concrete that does not crack, peel, or chip away.